Dudhi or lauki is one of the very few vegetables which are available over the year in a market. However, you might have heard and also loved gajar halwa, but never tried this delicious and nutritious recipe of dudhi halwa. This not so tempting but highly rich in fibre dessert deserves all the attention which its copartner gajar halwa gets. Lets find out why I am stressing soo much on health benefits of dudhi.
Facts about Dudhi Halwa and how its health benefits.
- 100 g of dudhi contains 15 calories.
- 100 g for edible portion contains 1 g fat. Its water content is 96%.
- It is low in saturated fat, cholesterol, high in dietary fibre, Vitamin C, riboflavin, zinc, thiamine, iron, magnesium and manganese.
Health benefits of including bottle gourd in your diet:
Bottle Gourd/lauki has multiple health benefits, few of them are:
- Bottle gourd is rich in dietary fibre, both, soluble and insoluble. Hence, it helps in curing constipation, flatulence and even piles. It is also easy to digest.
- It promotes weight loss. The vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre in lauki keep the body well-nourished and curb unnecessary appetite, especially if you drink its juice in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Its fat and cholesterol content is extremely low.
- It consists of approximately 96% of water and is therefore a great thirst quencher. It also prevents fatigue and keeps the body cool and refreshed during summers.
- Apart from the iron content it is also rich in vitamin B and C, and helps in anti-oxidative actions.
- It also contains sodium, potassium, essential minerals and trace elements, which regulate blood pressure and prevent the risk of heart ailments.
- High in sodium and potassium, bottle gourd is also an excellent vegetable for people with hypertension.
- It is a suitable vegetable for light, low-calorie diets as well as for children, people with digestive problems, diabetics and those recovering from an illness or injury.
- Bottle gourd is recommended by Ayurveda physicians for balancing the liver function, when the liver is inflamed and unable to process food efficiently for nutrition and assimilation.
dudhi halwa | lauki ka halwa | bottlegourd
- Sugar- 7-8 tbsp
- Milk powder-2 tbsp
- Elaichi powder- 1 tsp
- Dry fruits raisins, cashew, almonds [optional]
- Milk- 450 ml
- clarified butter- 4 tbsp
- Wash, Peel and grate bottle gourd and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add clarified butter. Once the clarified butter heats up, add grated bottle gourd.
- Add sugar, milk powder and mix well.
- After 2 mins, add milk and cardamom powder and let the flavours induce.
- Keep on mixing for atleast 5 mins.
- Add dryfruits and mix well.
- Your dudhi ka halwa or lauki halwa is ready to be served!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?